Saturday, June 21, 2014

Izzy's First Race

My coworker's daughter had a cardiac episode that was very serious and she was at Children's Hospital for a few weeks. The outcome they were given wasn't good at first, but she defied all odds and our prayers were answered. She is expected to be fully recovered by the 4th of July! With a heads up from my friend, Kathryn, I signed up for the Children's Hospital Heartbeat 5000 5K run/walk, which raises funds for the cardiac unit where Lucia received her care. I started a team, Team Lucia, and it was heartwarming to see how many people signed up for the race that knew Lucia and her family. It was even more amazing walking part of the 5K with Lucia herself! She was snacking on some crackers I had brought along for the kids. It was truly amazing seeing her there with us after all she has been through. Her MRI results said she wasn't going to open her eyes or be able to breath on her own and there she was, walking alongside of us, such a miracle!
 
Some of Team Lucia, there were a ton that couldn't make it and we still had an incredible turnout!
 
Izzy got to do her first Kids Fun Run, it was two blocks long. We missed the 3 year olds heat due to our team photo, so she/we ran with the 5 year olds. I don't think she had any idea what we were doing. 

At the start

Run, Izzy, Run!

A photographer came up after the race and asked Izzy to show him her ribbon, she wouldn't smile until....

 I told her she could have a sucker if she smiled.
She was super nervous and confused by the whole process haha.

Thanks for suggesting we take this photo with TC the Twins mascot Kathryn!


Lucia is the adorable one in the middle, eating the crackers. Miracles do happen, so glad I was able to witness it firsthand.


No comments:

Post a Comment