Well, we made it! We haven't slowed down since we got here and are maximizing our free schedules without naps and bedtimes to navigate around. Day 1 went like this:
Arrived, picked up rental car (took forever!), and went to the hotel to unpack. We had dinner poolside in the sun, we had forgotten what the sun felt like! We decided to go to the beach across the street, Kamole I. It was beautiful and we laid there and almost fell asleep since it was 7pm here, but 1am at home. We ran to the store to pick up some items for breakfast for our early morning sunrise trip and were asleep by 8:30 (2:30am at home).
Day 2 was very busy! It is amazing how much you can do when you don't have nap schedules and you wake up early. We woke at 2:30am (7:30 home) to get ready to drive 2 hours to the top of the Haleakala Crater. We were at 10,000 feet above sea level, it was incredible and a lovely 43 degrees at the top. We felt like we were still in MN. The road up was pitch black and very curvy and sometimes scary. Bobby did well and only jumped into my throat a few times on the way up. Once we got to the top, it was incredible! It felt surreal and fake, like we were at the Planetarium. The stars were so close, we were above the clouds. It felt like we were in part of heaven and then I saw a shooting star, I think it was my dad winking at me. We bundled up and went to the peek to view the sunrise at 5:55am. It was amazing! The pictures don't even come close to doing it justice. It started to peek above the clouds and then there it was, right in front of us! It was definitely something I never thought I would see or do in that way, so cool! Again, the pictures don't come close to showing how beautifully amazing it was. We made our two hour descent down the crater in daylight, much better and not nearly as scary! We decided it was time to warm up at the beach and went to Kamole II. Pat dug a chair for Bobby and me to sit in the sand. It was only 8am and it was already 75 degrees and humid out. After sometime, we walked across the street to get lunch at a great sandwich shop called 808 Bistro. The food was so good! Then, we drove around and found an amazing beach called Makena/Big Beach. It is what you'd find on a postcard promoting Hawaii, exactly what you'd picture when you think of a Hawaiian beach. Beautiful! The waves were too rough for swimming, so we didn't stay too long, as this pregnant Mama overheats a lot faster. At this point, we were sunned out and it was only 1:30, although we had been up since 2:30. We came to the hotel, took showers, played backgammon on the balcony, and went to the grocery store for some essentials. Then, we drove to our third beach for the day, Naupaka Beach, a black sand beach which was kind of neat to see, we didn't swim at all, just got out to look. For dinner, we went to an amazing restaurant called MonkeyPod and both were in love with the food we ordered. It was a long day, so we were in bed at 8pm! I am up now at 5am, but am happy I at least slept through the night. I figured I would blog while Pat sleeps to help this forgetful Mama recall all that we did on this trip. :) Tonight we are going to a Luau, I can't wait!






















No comments:
Post a Comment